What is the database?
The NIDCR Special Care Database is a collection of hundreds of materials, including fact sheets, brochures, journal articles, audiovisual materials, and other items produced by established agencies, publishers, organizations, health and research institutions, and associations concerned about oral health. In particular, the database focuses on “special care,” which includes persons with genetic or systemic disorders that affect oral, dental, or craniofacial health; whose medical treatments cause oral problems; or whose intellectual or physical disabilities complicate oral hygiene or dental treatment.
What topics does the database cover?
The database covers a range of topics, including:
- Causes, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of oral diseases and disorders related to special care
- Oral health problems that occur with other medical disorders and conditions
- Oral side effects of medications and other treatments of medical conditions
- Special oral health care needs of people with developmental disabilities and other medical conditions
- Information on current oral treatments related to special needs populations
- Information on support groups, voluntary organizations, and other information resources.
WHAT KIND OF MATERIALS ARE IN THE DATABASE?
The NIDCR Special Care Database provides citations and brief descriptions (abstracts) from:
Records contain titles, abstracts, and keywords—not full-text documents. Information on how to obtain copies of the original materials is provided.